In Episode 127, Greg and Pam discuss hockey, soap, and trains.
Many thanks to Greg’s Mom, Sandy Cohoon for the episode introduction!
Check out our group on Facebook! We would love to have you join us there. ***Please help us manage the group by answering the questions when you request to join!***
We are Knitcrate Ambassadors! Are you the kind of knitter who would enjoy receiving a surprise package of yarn in the mail every month? Then you need to sign up for a Knitcrate subscription. Every month, you will receive a selection of curated yarn, a pattern specifically paired to use with the yarn, and a treat. Use code KD20 at checkout for 20% off your first package when you sign up for a subscription.
Note on Ravelry Links
Note that many of the links in our show notes refer to pages on Ravelry.com. If visiting Ravelry causes you harm, please be cautious clicking links. If you are interested in a link that is inaccessible to you, you can email info at unravelingpodcast dot com and Greg and/or Pam will happily send you the information
You can now financially support Unraveling…a knitting podcast on Patreon! Monthly membership levels are available at Swatch ($1), Shawl ($3), and Sweater ($6) and come with rewards like early access to book club episodes, access to a quarterly Zoom call, discounts on all Knitting Daddy patterns, and holiday cards. Nothing about the existing podcast is changing—we will continue to deliver regular and book club episodes like we have been doing for years—everything available via Patreon is extra. Financial support through Patreon helps us cover expenses like web hosting, prize shipping, and equipment upgrades.
Yarn in the News
- Greg’s Partridge In A Pretzel hat pattern is now available for purchase in his Ravelry store. To celebrate its release and the new year, all patterns in the store are $2 off for the month of January, no coupon code required.
- Pam shared a story about a hockey fan who spotted a cancerous mole on a staffer’s neck and the awesome crocheted Kraken hat she was wearing.
- Greg finished a set of fingerless mitts for a friend. He used the Pioneer Gloves pattern by Kelly McClure. The yarn is ONline Linie 12 Street. Check out his Ravelry project page.
- Greg finished therapy cloths from a kit he picked up in Savannah. It was enough hemp yarn for 3 cloths.
- Greg finished (and delivered) knitting socks for his mom. He’s using Sea Star Handpaints Buried Treasure yarn.
- Greg cast on a pair of socks for his Christmas Eve Cast-on. He is using yarn from Oink Pigments.
- Greg pulled Frog & Toad back out of hibernation and knitted eyeballs for Frog. He still needs to create the eye sockets.
- Greg is re-working a cowl design because he forgot that when you use cables, it pulls the yarn in. He thinks he might switch from DK to weight for the design.
- Pam worked on her Spinning for Socks Socks in cheviot spun from Sadie Spins! and she is loosely following the Vanilla Latte pattern by Virginia Rose-Jeanes.
- Pam worked on the Gro Shawl and is using Twisted Willow Merino Linen Twist yarn.
- Pam started a Test Knit using handspun yarn.
- Pam made another crochet coral piece for the NC Museum of Art. No pictures or project page at this time.
- Pam finished Scott’s Christmas socks using a sock tube from Gypsy Mountain Farm.
- Pam made another bunting using the Petite Star Pattern by Johannah Lindahl
- Pam made a Christmas Ball Ornament using the Balls Up! Pattern by General Hogbuffer. Greg mentioned similar patterns by LexiCorp.
- Pam mentioned but didn’t talk a lot about her Goals Blanket. It’s the pattern Cosy Stripe Blanket from Attic24. Pam is using Stylecraft Special DK.
- Next episode we will start Section 2 of The Knitter’s Book of Yarn: The Ultimate Guide to Choosing, Using, and Enjoying Yarn by Clara Parkes. This section is about making yarn and we will be talking about mills and microspinneries. We try to host book club so you don’t need the book to enjoy the discussions but this book is such a wealth of knowledge we highly recommend it!
Current/Upcoming Unraveling Events
- Pam and Greg mentioned the CAN Retreat.
- The disorganized Topalong is still going strong in the Ravelry threads! And it’s time for sweaterweather. Join in the fun and knowledge sharing!
- The Fairs and Festivals KAL is back!
- Pam mentioned the Michelle Obama issue of Vogue Knitting magazine.
- Pam mentioned all the Christmas Ball ornaments made dmbrown240 on Instagram.
- Pam and her family visited a number of exhibits and shows. Immersive Van Gogh, the Chinese Lantern Festival and Exquisite Creatures.
- Pam mentioned the dropped stitch t-shirt she got for Christmas from Savvy Skeins.
- Both Pam and Greg both got packages of mystery stitch markers from Ann Tudor.
- Greg finished all of The Expanse books by James S A Corey and is enjoying the show on Amazon.
- Greg read The Goblin Emperor by Katherine Addison.
- Greg talked about his his trip to the North Carolina Zoo.
- Greg returned to the office for a day and retrieved his copy of Kids’ Knitting Workshop by Susan B. Anderson.
- We talked about the discussion in the Ravelry group about soap, detergents, wool wash, etc. and when these products are appropriate to use on different kinds of fibers.
Affiliate Link Disclousure
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link to Cooperative Press, Amazon, or Knitcrate and subsequently make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission from the sale. You pay the same, and the commissions will help cover our podcasting expenses. Our opinions are always our own.
Find us all over the Internet
- Patreon: Unraveling…a knitting podcast
- Subscribe in iTunes: The Unraveling Podcast
- Podcast RSS Feed: Unraveling Podcast
- Twitter: @UnravelingPod
- Facebook: Unraveling Podcast
- Instagram: @UnravelingPodcast
- Ravelry Group: Unraveling Podcast
- Greg is KnittingDaddy on Ravelry, @KnittingDaddy on Instagram, and also writes the KnittingDaddy blog.
- Pam is pammaher on Ravelry and @pammaher on Instagram