In Episode 62, Greg and Pam discuss secret knitting, secret history and secret increases. They also review Leaflet #13 from Elizabeth Zimmermann’s “The Opinionated Knitter.”
Special thanks to squeakyloom Martha for this episode’s introduction! Check out her knitting designs!
We are Knitcrate Ambassadors! Are you the kind of knitter who would enjoy receiving a surprise package of yarn in the mail every month? Then you need to sign up for a Knitcrate subscription. Every month, you will receive a selection of curated yarn, a pattern specifically paired to use with the yarn, and a treat. Use code KD20 at checkout for 20% off your first package when you sign up for a subscription.
FiberCrafty’s independently owned shops are stocked with yarn, fiber, project bags, stitch markers and more. With filter terms specific to yarn and fiber, the ability to save favorites, and a secure checkout process, it’s better than a 24 hour fiber festival! For shop owners, our easy to use interface makes selling online easy. FiberCrafty is owned by one woman that has a crazy love of yarn and knitting. Greg’s favorite feature? Pants are optional. Shop for your next project at FiberCrafty.
Listen To The Episode
We would love to have YOU record and introduction to the show! You can find details in the Ravelry Group Pages.
- Greg has been knitting prototypes for future designs.
- Greg is going to cast on a new pair of socks soon.
- Pam finished the swirls for her daughter’s college blanket. Next she has to figure out how to make the background and join the parts. The pattern is Swirly Pop by Marken of the Hat and I. She used KnitPicks Chroma Worsted.
- Pam finished the Mash It Up Hat by Babs Ausherman. She used leftovers from her Rickroll.
- Pam sewed 6 rope baskets for her kids’ teachers end of year gifts.
- Pam cast on a secret test knit for KnittngDaddy Designs.
- Pam worked on her CPCTC socks by Sarah Jordan.
- Pam also swatched for a hat she’s going to make for her dad. She is using 2 colors of the millspun Romeldale from Zephyr Creek Farm.
- Karen is based in California and owns CottonTimes. She creates multi-zippered bags that are perfect for all of your tools. Check out this review Pam added to her YouTube channel.
- The weekly FiberCrafty newsletter always has a list of current coupon codes! And other fun stuff. Pam writes it, it’s good. You should subscribe.
The Opinionated Knitter (affiliate link)
- We discussed Leaflet #13, pages 72-75 featuring the Three and One Sweater. Next up, Leaflet #14, pages 76-79.
Current/Upcoming Unraveling Events
- Don’t forget our Elizabeth Zimmermann KAL! Have you made one of her patterns? Used a technique? Tell us about it!
Upcoming Events Where You Might Find Us
- Blue Ridge Fiber Festival (June 7 & 8) in beautiful Sparta, NC. Some classes will be offered on June 6.
- Pam & Greg will be giving a talk about Elizabeth Zimmermann at the Ol’ North State Knitting Guild on September 9 in Raleigh, NC.
Podcasts We Love
- Very Pink Knits
- Knitting Pipeline
- Down Cellar Studio – check out the Splash Pad Party where Greg is a Snack Shack Sponsor
- Pam talked about two new books she got. One is the Principles of Knitting (affiliate link) by June Hemmons Hiatt and the other is AlterKnit Stitch Dictionary (affiliate link) by Andrea Rangel.
- Greg mentioned a video about The Secret History of Knitting. He heard about it from the #PursuitofHappyKnits Facebook Group.
Affiliate Link Disclosures
This post contains affiliate links. That means that if you click on a link to Craftsy, Cooperative Press, Amazon, or Knitcrate and subsequently make a purchase, we’ll receive a small commission from the sale. You pay the same, and the commissions will help cover our podcasting expenses. Our opinions are always our own, and we’re never compensated to endorse any particular product or service.
Find us all over the Internet
- Subscribe in iTunes: The Unraveling Podcast
- Podcast RSS Feed: Unraveling Podcast
- Twitter: @UnravelingPod
- Facebook: Unraveling Podcast
- Instagram: @UnravelingPodcast
- Ravelry Group: Unraveling Podcast
- Greg is KnittingDaddy on Ravelry, @KnittingDaddy on Instagram, and also writes the KnittingDaddy blog.
- Pam is pammaher on Ravelry, @FiberCrafty and @pammaher on Instagram, and owner of the FiberCrafty marketplace.
2 thoughts on “Episode 62 — It’s Still Greg’s Fault”
I LOVE the EZ segments. I have owned The Opinionated Knitter for quite a few years, but going through it with you two has made me read it much more closely than I have in the past. Also, Pam THANK YOU for saying that the backwards loop cast on does not leave a hole. I have known about the cast on for a long time, but never used it because I thought it would leave a hole in my knitting. I tried it on a sock toe this week and it worked beautifully! Thank you very much!
Aw thank you so much for the kind words! I think we feel the same way and it has been so fun. And YES! I use the backward loop all the time! It’s so fast, easy and inconspicuous! ~Pam